Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Orderliness in oil price pullback in "eye of the beholder" but it's definitely declining - how far?

Whether the decline in the oil price looks orderly or not, I'll have to leave to the eye of the beholder at this point - to me it looks like it's in the midst of a small 3rd or "C" wave down. Third waves are very similar to "C" waves in being stronger movements than most other waves. It looks like the decline has gone past a simple ABC symmetry, and the WTIC continuous contract moved under its 50-day moving average today (see second chart below). Interestingly it's moved to potential support at a restest of a Fibonacci level on my monthly chart (second chart below). But, since it's also moving back under the long term channel line on my monthly chart, and the indicators look weak, it's reasonable to think that it may move at least to its 200-day moving average slightly under $60 which is where many eyes will look to see if it gets support. That area around $55 also provide classic chart support around the relatively recent consolidation levels. I know, I heard the commentators say that certain oil interests just "have to have it at $75" but that doesn't mean they get their wish. Certainly the bigger risk for them is that the level about $70 topped a "B" wave that points it down to a retest of the double-bottom lows of late 2008 and early this year. There's obviously support under $30 even if a lot of people don't want to see it go there. For myself, I'm comfortable in my short swing-trade position and I don't mind letting it ride some more before I really try to sharpen the Elliott Wave counts to work on targets any more specific than that range around $55-$58. The $64 level should be a resistance level at this point, being around that .382 Fib level that was just broken under, as well as the 50-day moving average.

No comments:

Post a Comment