Thursday, July 23, 2009

Notes on the markets 7/23/2009

Folks, when I can get time to prepare and post charts, I will. For now some notes summarizing what I saw, most of which I tweeted today too. First, though, a reader commented this morning to the ChartsEdge map post, about those forecasts, and I replied in a comment too. Long story short, they work often enough to be useful and informative. Also, do read the info on them at ChartsEdge and/or which I posted at my NB3 education site (links for all these references, at right). But by all means, when any tool, pattern, etc., stops "working" never hesitate to shake it off and look to others! (And be willing to see if the next day's, works.)

The SPX finally landed at, and over, the 961/963 area of a key Fibonacci and pivot level. So there's no guessing on that score anymore! I'm told the NYSE ($NYA) hit a similar target today too. The Nasdaq Composite already tagged my 1912 a couple of days ago, and today may well have closed the gap I've identified numerous times on the McClellan charts.

The Dow even tickled its January high of 9088, which is interesting for Dow Theorists, even though the Dow Transports remain well under the 3737 level they'd need to confirm IF the Industrials exceed that prior high. Of course it's a classic chart resistance level too; to be considered with our other clues. Those include the VIX compressed into a low from which it can at least bounce well, or more. I'm not certain I should strongly proclaim that FAZ got to $38 as a triangle measured-move target ... but there it is.

UNG fans, it sure enough dropped from $14 so now we see if it's only a pullback or becomes more bearish. I think there's reason to look for another leg up but let it confirm in some manner - some new or re-entry when it triggers up again from pulling back.

Currencies and gold remain worthy of a keen eye as we see how equities react now. For that matter, oil again tried to push resistance today - another economic growth vs. deflation theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment